Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Install Java(JRE) on XBMC Live

I had some trouble getting the Sun Java 6 JRE running on my new XBMC Live 10.1 Dharma installation so I figured I would write it down for anyone else having similar problems.  Here are the steps to get java up and running.

First drop into a command line or SSH into your XBMC HTPC.  To do this you can go to the shutdown menu and select the "Exit" option or follow my "3 ways to access the terminal on your XBMC Live box" guide.  You then need to log in with your XBMC Live username and password that you set up during installation.  Now you're at the terminal just enter the following:

sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner"

 sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts java-common sun-java6-bin unixodbc odbcinst1debian1 odbcinst


and that's it, have fun!

BTW: just out of interest what are you installing java for on XBMC Live for?  I was doing it to get some humble bundle games working but I'm interested in what other people are doing with their setup so leave a comment if you found this useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment