Friday, January 1, 2010

Enabling Screen Rotate Button for Asus t91 in Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

After a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala on my Asus T91 the screen rotation button was not functioning. After a bit of googling I found this post:


The instructions on the are for Ubuntu 9.04 so i have tested them in 9.10. To enable the screen resolution button open a terminal and type the following:

sudo gedit /etc/acpi/events/asus-rotate-t91

then place these two lines in the file and save:

event=hotkey (ATKD|HOTK) 0000007b
action=/etc/acpi/rotatescreen.sh

Now reboot and your screen rotate button should work.




8 comments:

  1. was there anything else not working?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could there be a way to not only make the screen go right, but at longer-press or another click, make it scroll through (like in w7)? that would be awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Chase not sure about the w7 like behaviour but i concur that it would be sweet, if you find a solution let me know and i'll add it to the instructions.

    I think it would be possible to modify the script so that every time the button is pressed it rotates 90 degrees, if you catch my drift. I'm actually on holidays at the moment so i'm not super keen to start fiddling with the code but when i have some spare time i might give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  4. @jCole, I'm definitely going to try and will keep you up to date :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW James, different item, but the brightness buttons seem to work with a mod to grub. My current grub mods are:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet nosplash mem=786mb pciehp.pciehp_force=1 pciehp.pciehp_poll_mode=1 elevator=noop acpi_backlight=vendor"
    - video mem reserve, display or sleep mods (can't remember), SSD saver and black light buttons :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. please, i need help... I have asus t91 and install ubuntu 10.10 on it. I did all what is write above, but, it didn't help me( but I have noticed that all chandges in /etc/acpid/event not occur anything. I meen, that even I delete asus-brightness-up(that works good in default) it also work good. WTF?(((

    ReplyDelete