Saturday, November 28, 2009

Touch Screen for Asus eee T91 on Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Getting your T91 touchscreen in Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala requires the following steps.

When i did this i configured the graphics card first and the the resolution to 1024x600. I'm not sure if this is a required step but i'd recommend doing it. To find out how you can see my blog post here.

First you need to install the evtouch drivers, open a terminal and type the following

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-evtouch

then reboot, after that the touchscreen will be working but most likely not correctly calibrated. There is an issue with the evtouch screen calibration in 9.10 so you need to run the calibration with no X server running.

The first command will stop X and take you to a terminal so either remember the steps after it or have another computer handy. Open a terminal and type:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
after this you will be asked to log in.
then :

cd /usr/bin

now run the calibration utility.

sudo calibrate_touchscreen

There were no instructions when i ran the calibration tool so here is what you need to do.
once it opens run your stylus around the edge of the screen then hit enter.
The top left cross will then go red, press the center of it and then release, the next cross should then go red. Do this for all 9 crosses and the configuration utility will exit when you click the last one.

next restart X by running

startx

Note, if i didn't restart X and just rebooted from the command line the new configuration was not saved, not sure why.

hope this helps, good luck!

5 comments:

  1. Wow,thanks so much for all this info -- screen res too! I got tired of winxp and decided on a whim to load another os -- took me most of the day just to figure out how to do that; then found your wonderful info for the res and touchscreen! Many hours later, and my t91 is up and running! Thanks again! Lelah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the information! You have no idea how helpful this was for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got my eee t91 and have been trying to install ubuntu karmic. I have not been able to get the touch screen to work. when I follow your instructions I get this message:

    (zenity:1960): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display

    any help would be greatly appreciated.
    crookrandy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I followed the instructions and it worked great.
    so I flipped the screen like the i-pad and started to use the touch screen only... the computer stops responding after like 2 to 5 minutes, nothing responds even the pointer doesn't move when I try to use the touch pad. so I had to reboot to get it to work. this happens every time when I use the touch screen for a while, even when I just browse the net.
    any idea how to fix this.
    thanks

    ReplyDelete